Updates are coming soon to NHA's Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) study materials. Read more to learn more about what you can expect with the newly enhanced versions.
Why is the CMAA exam changing?
As the healthcare industry evolves, so do the roles and responsibilities of our healthcare workers. As your trusted certification provider, we work hard to ensure all NHA certification exams and their associated study materials accurately represent the skills and competencies needed to be successful in today's healthcare setting.
How much is the CMAA exam changing?
After a thorough job task analysis study with industry professionals, the new CMAA exam will be available on September 12, 2023, with minimal impact to exam topics and content areas. We advise that you utilize the latest study materials for any learners sitting for the exam on or after this date. Please also note that anyone who tests and fails the exam 30 days prior to the launch of the new exam will need to retest with the new exam.
Updates have been made to the test plan for the upcoming new version of the exam—the new test plan and crosswalk resources are available at the end of this post.
NEW engaging changes are coming to CMAA study materials.
Available on June 1, 2023, the new CMAA study materials will feature changes in both content and function. Content within the latest study materials will differ slightly, as it was developed in alignment with the new CMAA exam test plan.
Additionally, you can also expect several new features to help learners stay engaged and retain new knowledge throughout their learning process, including:
- Interactive practice activities throughout modules to reinforce learning
- EHR simulation activities enable learners to practice EHR data entry, including patient registration, scheduling, check-in/check-out, electronic referrals/preauthorizations, billing, coding and more
- Patient experience coach to discusses ways to improve patient experience when performing specific skills and the patient's overall perception of the visit
- Professionalism tips videos provide insight into essential skills specific to Medical Administrative Assistants, including Customer Service, Verbal and Written Communication, Telephone Etiquette, De-escalation Techniques, Problem-Solving, Time Management, Protecting Patient Privacy and Professionalism
- Enhanced digital flashcards allowing candidates to mark as 'study' or 'know', and shuffle the order they are presented
- Annotation tools to create bookmarks, highlight important information, and take notes for improved studying
- Audio reader and glossary to aid in studying for auditory learners
- And more!
How can I prepare?
Check out the resources below to help prepare for the upcoming CMAA updates and continue to check back for more information.
New CMAA Exam Test Plan
Review our upcoming test plan. The new CMAA exam will be launching September 12, 2023.
Current CMAA Exam Test Plan
Review our current test plan.
New CMAA Exam Update Crosswalk Resource
This resource helps to identify the differences between the current and upcoming CMAA exams.